Operations over virtual machines
All operations performed in VMmanager can be divided into main and additional. Operations with a virtual machine launched in VMmanager are recorded to the log. Go to Virtual machines → open the VM page → History to view them. All active operations are represented on the tab Task queue.
The main operations are available in Virtual machines → menuor in Virtual machines → open a virtual machine page → menu :
- Start/Stop — start/stop a virtual machine;
- Restart — restart a virtual machine;
- Reinstall — install a new operating system on your virtual machine:
- select an Operating system;
- select a Script to be launched upon operating system installation. Scripts help prepare virtual machines for operation. E.g. you can use them to install any software or set up configuration files. Read more in Scripts;
- specify the VM password. Click on Generate for an automatically generated password.
- Recovery mode — start/stop the recovery mode;
Migrate — change the cluster node where the virtual machine is located;
Migration of virtual machines between cluster nodes with IP allocation rule "To node" is not supported.
- Change password — create a new root password for the virtual machine;
- VNC — use the web interface to connect to the working area of your virtual machine. Read more in VNC;
- Create backup copy — create a backup copy of virtual machine. Read more in Backups;
- Clone — create a copy of your virtual machine.
- Create VM image — create a user image based on the disk of the virtual machine. Read more in Create a disk image;
- Run script — select a script that will be started on the virtual machine via the SSH protocol;
- Notes — add notes to a virtual machine;
- Delete — delete a virtual machine.
The additional operations are available in Virtual machines → open a virtual machine page.
Open the Information tab and click on Edit resources:
- vCPU (number of processors) in units;
- RAM in Mb;
- Storage in Mb.
You need to reboot your virtual machine to apply the changes in resources. Click on Edit and reboot to start rebooting, or click on Delay restart to do it later.
To change the owner of a virtual machine, open the Information tab, click Owner → edit → select a new one.
Use the tab IP addresses to see the IPs assigned to your virtual machine:
click on Add an IP address to add a new IP. Select whether the address belongs to the Main or Additional network, the Number of IPv4 addresses and select a Pool that will be used to take the IP from. VMmanager will change the network settings in the VM operating system automatically.
VMmanager does not change network settings for virtual machines running Windows.
Open the Statistics tab to find the information about the resources consumed by the virtual machine. Here you can specify the period and the type of the resource:
- CPU load;
- RAM consumed;
- Storage consumed;
- Input-output operations (IOPS);
- Incoming traffic speed;
- Outgoing traffic speed.
Use the tab VNC settings to view the data used to connect to a virtual machine via VNC:
- Password for access to a VNC server.
Read more in VNC.
Open the tab Images for recovery to see the list of disk images of the virtual machine which you can use as backup copies. A backup copy allows you to restore the state of the disk of your virtual machine.
- Click on Create an image to create a new disk image of the virtual machine. Read more in the article Create a disk image.
- Click on Restore to delete the current virtual machine disk irreversibly and replace it with a disk from a backup copy.